Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer Living Part 1

It has been a few weeks since I posted last. We have been trying to enjoy summer like there is no tomorrow. There really is not much time left to enjoy summer activities during the week for the girls and I, so we are trying to make the most of the time we have together before I start my new job.

We were up in Albuquerque, NM for about a week and one half the first part of the summer. We did so many fun things together! There are a lot of pictures so I am going to split up the posts.

Chris and I went white water kayaking on the Lower Gorge of the Rio Grande River. White water kayaking the love of my husband's life before he met me and to be honest, it was pretty stiff competition for a while. After spending the day on the river, I totally get why he loves it so much. Chris spent countless hours white water kayaking in New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana, but pretty much gave it up when we established our home in southern New Mexico. Now I understand why he still talks longingly about it. Kayaking is fun and a huge rush!



We didn't get many pictures coming down the white water because whoever was manning the camera was usually also going down the same stretch and more concerned about keeping their duckie upright than taking pictures. Here is one picture I managed to snap of my dad and sister in one kayak and my brother and sister-in-law in another kayak navigating a short stretch of white water.



Chris and I are messing around in this next picture. We thought it would be funny to get a picture of us in the same kayak rowing in opposite directions. It seemed like a good visual of how marriage works sometimes. We are on the same team and yet sometimes we find ourselves "rowing" against one another. This picture is a reminder to work together because we are on the same team!



The Rio Grande is absolutely beautiful in this section of New Mexico and we saw great scenery and even some wildlife. Here is a mama duck and her ducklings.



We also saw several pairs of geese.



This trip was so fun. Chris and I are now talking about renting a kayak and taking the girls down the calm stretch of river later this summer. Maybe Chris' love of the water will rub off on the girls too. My extended family is turning kayaking on the Rio Grande into an annual tradition and we cannot wait for next year!






No comments:

Post a Comment